Monday, April 13, 2009

The Governor’s Tuition Relief Plan Springs Forth Hope

Spring is always such a beautiful time of the year. The season brings hope of new beginnings, and of course, college and university commencements.

This year, I have had the privilege of getting to know more of our students at Cheyney University. I am pleased that the faculty and staff at Cheyney University have helped to develop our graduates into conscientious, responsible, productive, and competitive citizens. As has been demonstrated in over 170 years, the contributions of our graduates to the Commonwealth and nation are more than noteworthy.

I am convinced that we are saving lives at Cheyney University, and we are directing these lives onto positive paths.

Thus, I am very hopeful about Governor Edward G. Rendell's plan to make college tuition more affordable for every Pennsylvania family. I know that many of our students work evenings and weekends to support their college education, and the average yearly income of Cheyney University students is slightly higher than $30,000 because many of our students support themselves. The only way these students can attend college is armed with scholarships, financial aid, loans, and jobs. Yet, these students do not complain; they just need for us to help them find a way.

As I understand the Tuition Relief Plan, many such students would quality for what I consider an investment into their futures and the future of the Commonwealth. Perhaps, more importantly, the thousands of students who are not able to work and use their earning for college expenses would have an opportunity for us to invest in them and an opportunity to become more resourceful and competitive wage earners for the Commonwealth by going to, and completing, college.

Looking at the faces of Cheyney University students, it is easy to see that we are indeed paying for our future by investing in these young people who want to earn a respectable place in our society and contribute to the well being of our nation. If the Tuition Relief Plan would become a reality, I envision that Cheyney University would be able to do its share in developing a competitive workforce in teaching, communications media and fine art, applied science and technology, and other areas crucial for the Commonwealth and for our nation. It is probable that our enrollment would grow from 1,500 students to 2,500 students in the first year, if students could afford to attend. This would translate into a more competitive workforce which in turn attracts more business and industry and a higher quality of life for all.

It is also my understanding that the Tuition Relief Act correlates tuition more closely with family income. However, it is probably impossible for us to know the true value a program such as the Tuition Relief Act could have on future generations of Pennsylvanians. It will feel like Spring to many families!

Michelle R. Howard-Vital, Ph.D.
President

17 comments:

Reggie Buckner said...

This is a very intersting blog. what I found it the most important is that you still understand how the students have to support theirself by having an evening night job after a long day of class to support their tuitions.

R.B.

Martha C. Young said...

Thanks! This is a fantastic way for many of the "older" alumni to stay in touch with what is happening at Cheyney and provide additional support I especially liked the President's Blog.

Marty
Martha C. Young '58

scye royster said...

I feel the president is correct about the lives of Cheyney University students and our struggle to pay tuition. She mentioned in the blog that Governor Edward G. Rendell’s plans to make college tuition more affordable for Pennsylvania family; I feel that’s excellent for them but what about out- of -state students? I’m from New Jersey and tuition is about 20,000 for me. I live in a housing development with six females and by the grace of God, my scholarship program pays for my tuition. But Before I was accepted into the program, it was very hard financially, but I got through it because of my drive and dedication. But I still worry about the out- of- state students who have the same passion as me, and their not supported with funds. Where do they stand?

Ikeam Richardson said...

Ikeam Richardson,

Thus, I am very hopeful about our tuition becoming more affordable for all students. Some errors have occured within the univeritys
fiancial aid system. Most students have been overcharged or have been charged twice for unesseccary things. As you said "many of cheyney students suppodt themselves", but we all have outstanding balances. As i understand there is action being taook to relief everyones stress from fiancial disaster, our money and future is in cheyneys hands.

brad engle said...

I think this is a great way for students to easily speak upon their solutions or problems directly to the presidents blog. This will be very useful in the years to come.

Brittany elmore said...

I thought it was very thoughtful of her to write about her understandings of the issues students have in paying tuition. The fact that our school's president supports the tuition relief plan will make the students of Cheyney University feel good because the their leader, of sorts, is on their side.


B. Elmore

Anonymous said...

I think this will be very benifical to the many students at cheyney. This will reduce many of the problems that we may have.i am very hopeful about our tuition becoming more affordable for all students.it is true that "many of cheyney students support themselves",. this will help out greatly

weedor paywala said...

this is an excellent blog.I found it most important that she understand how the students have to support themself by having jobs after a long day of class to support their tuitions. this lets me know that she care about the students at cheyney.I am hopeful about her plan for our tuition becoming more affordable for all students.

Sinead Covington said...

I found this blog to be very interesting. Both eye catching and holding my attention. This blog addresses the issues and talks about what is actually on the minds of college students today. It puts a smile on my face to read about a program that can provide financial assistance that will make tuition more affordable for students who are pennsylvania residents. Ultimately, serving as a pathway for those who really need it. ALthough I am not a pennslyvania resident and pay out of state tuition. I still agree with this blog. On that note, I will like to add that there should be more opportunities as mentioned in the blog for students who pay out of state tuition.

Anonymous said...

I think the decision past by president Obama will help future generations of students. I am exciteded about this oppuritiny.

Anonymous said...

i agree with the blog above with the statment.'This blog addresses the issues and talks about what is actually on the minds of college students today. It puts a smile on my face to read about a program that can provide financial assistance that will make tuition more affordable for students who are pennsylvania residents'. i also believe that its people that really want to help to future of young collge students

marquis Bourne PSU!!!!! said...

This was a interesting blog. I hope this plan helps Cheyney out alot. in addition to that i will be here to experience the new plan.

Marquis Bourne

Dante McCall said...

I can see myself involved with this plan considering not having the chance to do work study. This sort of helps people like me who pay out of pocket for school.

Jordan Wilkins said...

I hope that this program does become a reality! Even though I personally do not have a problem with tuition, i would like 2 get rid of these stafford loans, so i can come out debt free! I do have a off campus job because i was not considered for work study, but sometimes thats a hassle because getting back in forth everyday on the bus, plus paying out of pocket to events here on campus, that should be free to students; i.e. Homecoming and spring fling events; makes it a lot harder for me to live here on my own, being that i live near ohio, which is about 7hrs from here. I do hope that this program is passed so maybe living here on my own could be less of a burden

Anonymous said...

This is perfect for students who have to work two or three jobs to get through college. It can save money, help parents and not only students. I do wonder whats goin to happen to the out of state students and why its only happening to PA families. Im not saying im upset about it but it does make you wonder, What about the out of state students?

Mackenzie Weathington said...

This topic brings a lot of interest. This plan is needed in our college system because every parents goal is to get their child to further their education. By making more college tuition you can increase the number of students in university and can most importantly increase minorities in college. In the end, Hopefully this can be the first step of many to proving more jobs and improving the economy.

Keinaya Vaughn said...

Keinaya Vaughn
I am shocked as to how this blog really caught my attention. I've never had many, being the only child, but I do have friends who struggle to pay tuition and working multiple jobs so that they would be able to stay in school. Im glad that you understand these struggles and hope that one day it would become affordable for students to stay in school.